The man was reportedly carrying gasoline and gunpowder in his pockets as he entered the Mercadona shop, in As Lagoas, Ourense.
Numerous shoppers were inside making their purchases when the assailant, who was armed with a shotgun, entered and fired several shots.
Supermarket employees said he fired at least six shots during the terrifying ordeal.
One employee said the man, who was standing just a few metres from him, yelled “Allahu Akbar”, which translates to “God is greatest”.
Police arrived at the scene to arrest the attacker.
One witness told local media: “Agents came out with a vest shouting and pushing the people.”
Officer Carlos Perez, who was already at the supermarket, revealed he was fired at when he tried to stop the attack.
The 38-year-old revealed the attacker was only apprehended after his colleagues arrived.
Police are already dismissing the obvious connection to Islam and are saying the shooter has “psychological problems.”
According to police sources, the young man has psychological problems and is lives next-door to the shop…
…One employee confirmed that he had shouted the Arabic phrase for ‘God is great’ before he began shooting.
- Defiant Muslims block traffic, pray in street of Paris shouting Allahu Akbar
- London Mayor says Terrorism is "Part & Parcel" of Living in a Big City
- 1500 Acid Attacks Hit London Since 2011
- "Jihad Will Soon Begin in Europe" Turkish Foreign Minister
- "We Can't Restore Our Civilization With Somebody Else's Babies" - Steve King