A French soldier is fighting for his life in hospital after reportedly being stabbed by two men who yelled that the attack was in revenge for the bombing campaign against Islamic State (ISIS) in Syria.
The trooper, from the 8th regiment of marine parachutists, is said to be “seriously injured” in hospital after being set upon whilst out jogging alone near his army base.
The alleged attack took place at around 8.40pm yesterday evening in the southern town of Saint Julien du Puy, which lies around 70 miles to the east of Toulouse.
Reports in French media stated that the 30-year-old sergeant said he was punched and slashed several times with a knife, sustaining a serious wound to his thigh.
The soldier has reportedly told police that the men shouted at him that the attack was in revenge for France’s airstrikes against ISIS in Syria.
Passers-by who discovered the stricken sergeant then called the emergency services, who rushed him to hospital in a “serious condition”.
It is believed that he was not on duty at the time, but was still wearing some of his military uniform.
- Defiant Muslims block traffic, pray in street of Paris shouting Allahu Akbar
- French Presidential Race: Marine Le Pen Far Ahead of Rivals in Secret Polling
- Le Pen Niece to Erdogan: Turks Belong in Turkey
- Muslim shot dead after trying to Steal Weapon from Soldier at Paris Orly Airport
- Marine Le Pen's Perfect Storm