Two people have died and a further 12 were injured after a car bombing in southern Russia’s Dagestan at a police checkpoint near the city of Derbent. Islamic State terrorists have claimed responsibility in a tweet.
Preliminary reports say a Lada Priora approached the police checkpoint and the bomb was detonated.
Of the 12 injured, six are police officers and the rest are civilians, TASS reports.
Reports indicate the explosion was a suicide bombing, a police source told the agency. The blast was reportedly so strong it completely incinerated four vehicles parked in the vicinity of the checkpoint.
A video posted online shows the scene of the massive explosion, with black smoke billowing from vehicles near the blast, as police get to work.
The same checkpoint was the scene of an armed assault only the previous night. On that occasion, unknown assailants fired on the checkpoint, wounding one officer, TASS reported.
- "Trump Cabinet Picks are a Bunch of Scumbags": Democrat Maxine Waters
- Putin has a $200 Billion wealth, 58 Planes, Helicopters, Yachts and 20 Palaces
- Trump Destroys ISIS Command And Control HQ in Mosul, Iraq
- Pope Francis: "Muslim Terrorism Does Not Exist"
- Roger Stone Slams Media on Today Show for ‘Recycling’ Russian Hysteria