It came down to the addition of a single word for the a tree lighting ceremony, but that word carried enough significance for borough Roselle Park Councilwoman Charlene Storey to resign.
Minutes after the council voted 4-2 Thursday night to change the name of the ceremony from A Tree Lighting to A Christmas Tree Lighting, the councilwoman-at-large, left the meeting. She later submitted her letter of resignation with the municipal clerk’s office.
“I cannot in good conscience continue to be part of a council that is exclusionary or to work with a Mayor who is such,” Storey said in her letter.
When reached today, Storey said she regretted having to resign, but said the change “cuts non-Christians out of the loop and favors one religion.”
- Afghan Migrants ‘Use Belts As Whips’ to Attack Austrians at Christmas Celebration
- Italy's PM Resigns After Losing Constitutional Referendum
- Germany, Italy, Sweden and the UK Facing New Muslim Challenges
- THOUSANDS of INDIANS Attend Trump Speech, ZERO MEDIA COVERAGE!
- Chelsea Bomber Ahmad Rahami Sued Police in 2011 for Profiling