Somalia’s al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants have attacked an African Union (AU) base in Janale district, near Mogadishu.
The militants reportedly rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the base before storming the compound on Tuesday.
The AU says its forces managed to fend off the attack.
The AU force in Somalia, known as AMISOM, said AU troops were in control of the base in Janale district, about 80 kilometers (50 miles) southwest of the capital in the Lower Shabelle region.
Al-Shabab claimed its members “captured the base after a suicide bomber struck it,” adding, “The enemy fled.”
- Wikileaks: Hillary Clinton Told Al Qaeda Is On Our Side
- Somali Asylum Seeker Kills Woman, Rapes 2 Disabled Elderly Men in Germany
- Trump Issues New Ban on Travelers from Six Terror States
- Rasmussen Poll: 57% of Americans Support Trump's Muslim Ban
- Obama to Release 22 More Top Gitmo Detainees to Kill More Americans