Somalia’s al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants have attacked an African Union (AU) base in Janale district, near Mogadishu.
The militants reportedly rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the base before storming the compound on Tuesday.
The AU says its forces managed to fend off the attack.
The AU force in Somalia, known as AMISOM, said AU troops were in control of the base in Janale district, about 80 kilometers (50 miles) southwest of the capital in the Lower Shabelle region.
Al-Shabab claimed its members “captured the base after a suicide bomber struck it,” adding, “The enemy fled.”
- Somalis considering fleeing back home: ‘Safer there than in Sweden’
- Mexico Helping Unvetted African Migrants to U.S. Border, Many From Al-Shabaab Terror Hotbed
- Italy Takes 10,000 Invaders in 2 Days
- Former Gitmo Detainee Promises "New and Creative Ways" to Kill Americans
- New Narrative: It's Okay to Get Killed by Muslims, As Long as It's Not Terrorism