After the same-sex marriages legalization in all the US states, the law is suggested to be extended.
A 77-year-old Lois Capps, member of the US House of Representatives from California, has applied to eliminate such terms as “wife” and “spouse” from the federal law, so that, gays and heterosexuals will have equal rights.
Instead, neutral “spouse”, or “married couple” may be used, not to discriminate the LGBT community.
California has already adopted the initiative.
Pravda.Ru has reported, that such terms as “mother” and “father” are illegal in the US since 2011. It was noticed by the State Department, that more and more same-sex couples raise children.
Capps said her bill would also have other benefits if it became law. In one example, she noted that U.S. law says it’s illegal to threaten the president’s wife, but says nothing about the president’s husband. “Capps’ bill would update the code to make it illegal to threaten the president’s spouse,” her office said.
In case of Clinton’s winning presidential elections in 2016, Bill Clinton may be called as the “first spouse”.
Similar measures have been introduced by the Royal Bank of Scotland, that decided to address the clients as Mx (Mixter), instead of gendered Mr, Mrs, Ms or Miss.
- Republicans release Obamacare replacement bill
- Eric Holder Foretells The Return Of Obama: “He’s Coming, And He’s Ready To Roll”
- Spillway at tallest US dam in California about to collapse, tens of thousands evacuate
- California Senate Leader: Half My Family Here Illegally
- Berkeley Students Support Man Waving ISIS Flag, Attack Same Guy Waving Israeli Flag