The US military has set to design killer robots.
The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is working out drones which will be able to track and kill targets even when out of contact with their handlers.
The robots will be provided with lethal weapon systems.
The scientists are concerned with the threat and call on banning of such systems.
Stuart Russell, Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkley, said the research could breach the Geneva Convention and leave humanity in the hands of amoral machines.
“Autonomous weapons systems select and engage targets without human intervention; they become lethal when those targets include humans,” he said.
- Russia is Worried "US tanks and soldiers in Poland pose threat"
- Anonymous activist deconstructs ODNI report on ‘Russia hackers’
- FBI arrests ex-Volkswagen official on fraud charges in diesel emissions probe
- 100s more US tanks arrive in Europe to keep ‘peace & freedom’ at Russian borders
- iPhone Manufacturer Foxconn Plans to Replace almost Every Human Worker with Robots