Robert Ménard, the mayor of Béziers, said that his administration has looked at the list of the town’s school children and tried to work out how many were non-French Muslims by their names.
According to Mayor Ménard, 64.6% of the town’s children are Muslim when their names are taken into account.
“Sorry to say this, but the mayor has, class by class, the names of the children,” he said on TV.
“I know I don’t have the right to do it. Sorry to say it, but the first names tell us their religion. To say otherwise is to deny the evidence”
Abdallah Zekri, head of the France’s National Observatory Against Islamophobia, said he was “scandalized, [and] sickened by these comments”.
“Moreover, you can be called Mohammed without being a practicing Muslim,” he added.
- Muslim Appeals 40 Hours Community Service for Raping Child and Filming Assault
- Defiant Muslims block traffic, pray in street of Paris shouting Allahu Akbar
- French Presidential Race: Marine Le Pen Far Ahead of Rivals in Secret Polling
- Le Pen Niece to Erdogan: Turks Belong in Turkey
- 1500 Acid Attacks Hit London Since 2011