The US military has tested the biggest “bunker-buster” bomb in its arsenal, a 15-ton bomb designed to penetrate targets buried deep underground, a report says.
The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that the 30,000-pound (15 tons or 13,608 kilograms) device, known as the Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), was tested in mid-January.
A B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber, which took off from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri, dropped the upgraded precision-guided bomb at a testing site at an undisclosed location in the United States, unnamed military officials told the Journal.
According to officials, the Pentagon was largely satisfied with the results of the January test, but work on improving the weapon still continues.
The US military declined to comment on any improvements to the Massive Ordnance Penetrator.
“The United States military prepares for a broad range of potential threats to include developing munitions designed to address deeply buried and hardened facilities,” Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren said.
The Journal report said that work to improve the design, guidance systems and anti-jamming capabilities on the world’s largest conventional bomb began last year.
This bunker buster bomb test coincides with recent reports that Russia is building new bunkers not just for the Russian elite but for ordinary Russian people as well, amid fears of NATO vs Russia+China WW3 over Ukraine.
- MOAB Bombing of Afghanistan Successful, 92 ISIS Fighters Dead
- Trump Announces Harsh Vetting Measures on Muslims During Pentagon Speech
- Pentagon: F-35 Unfit For Combat With 276 Deficiencies and Counting
- Chicago breaks 1940 snowfall record as US is struck by Heavy Winter
- Nuclear War ‘IMMINENT’ Russia tells Citizens to Find Out Where Closest Bunkers Are