Home » Corruption, Middle East, Suppression » Turkey bans media coverage of ex-ministers corruption investigation


Turkey bans media coverage of ex-ministers corruption investigation

 
 
 
 
 
submit to reddit

Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan leaves an official ceremony to mark Republic Day at the new Presidential Palace in Ankara October 29, 2014.

A Turkish court has officially banned media coverage of a parliamentary investigation against four former ministers over corruption allegations.

On Tuesday the Turkish court ruled that the ban was issued to “prevent damage to the individual rights” of the former ministers.

A commission has been set up by Turkey’s parliament to investigate allegations against the former interior, environment, economy and EU ministers back in May.

The parliamentary commission’s first meeting was held in July and is due to conclude its work by December 27.

All four ministers have denied the accusations.

Turkey’s Supreme Board of Radio and Television says if media outlets violate the inquiry converge ban, they may face penalties.

The former parliament members were implicated in the corruption scandal late last year.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who was prime minister at the time of the scandal, said the allegations were a plot to depose him.

Turkey’s Journalists’ Association has labeled the ban as censorship.

At the beginning of the month Turkey applied fresh bans on media outlets deemed to have critical views of the government’s policies.

The Turkish Foreign Ministry reportedly stopped sending statements and phone text messages to various media outlets such as Today’s Zaman and Zaman daily newspapers.

Source

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  



RELATED ARTICLES

Did you like this information? Then please consider making a donation or subscribing to our Newsletter.
Copyright © 2009 The European Union Times – Breaking News, Latest News. All rights reserved.