A Chinese immigrant to the US has admitted to illegally taking a laptop belonging to a US government-owned nuclear weapons research facility to China.
Jianyu Huang, a former scientist who had been employed at Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico, made the admission on Monday.
The US Attorney for New Mexico has said in a statement that he pleaded guilty to interstate transportation of a government-owned computer and computer-related media.
Huang was also charged with falsely stating that he did not intend to take US government equipment with him on a trip to China.
The 46-year-old will be sentenced to only 1 year and 1 day in federal prison followed by a term of supervised release.
He was arrested in June 2012 on a six-count indictment, including charges that he misused federal government resources and equipment to conduct research for Chinese research institutions.
Jianyu is originally from the People’s Republic of China but is now a naturalized US citizen living in New Mexico.
- Former CIA director John Brennan may be the Leaker
- White House Probes Leaks of Trump’s Calls With Foreign Leaders
- LOL! Fake News Media Falsely Boost their Traffic with Chinese Bots
- Russia's secret shield: Perimeter, aka Dead Hand
- China invents paper again, this time Resistant to Fire and Water