New research has warned that washing raw chicken, through spreading infection, could increase the risk of food poisoning.
Washing meat before cooking was found to spread deadly bacteria called campylobacter, experts claimed.
The bacteria infect the things around such as work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment, through the splashing of water droplets.
Campylobacter bacteria, as the most common type of food poisoning in the UK, affect some 280,000 people a year, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) reported.
While the bacteria are less known than salmonella and E. coli, the people do not have essential information about that and the symptoms of the infected ones.
Symptoms include diarrhea, stomach pains and cramps, fever, and generally feeling unwell.
The children under five and older people are the most ones at risk. The infested people may appear to be ill only for a few days but it can lead to long-term health problems.
“Although people tend to follow recommended practice when handling poultry, such as washing hands after touching raw chicken and making sure it is thoroughly cooked, our research has found that washing raw chicken is also common practice,” said FSA chief executive Catherine Brown.
“That is why we’re calling on people to stop washing raw chicken and also raising awareness of the risks of contracting campylobacter as a result of cross-contamination,” she also stated.
- Majority of Europeans say Muslim immigration should be stopped
- “Iron Lady” Theresa May Calls President Trump's Refugee Pause “Divisive and Wrong”
- Euro could collapse in 18 months, predicts Trump's pick for EU ambassador
- Russia Accuses UK, Germany And France Of “Grossly Interfering” In The US Election
- British PM Vows Border Control, Pushes Clean Brexit