An Italian right-wing politician has been fined for organizing a protest against the wearing of Islamic veils for women.
On Monday, Daniela Santanche, a leading member of the conservative Forza Italia party of former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, was handed a 100-euro fine and a four-day jail sentence for not warning police about the action.
The punishment was subsequently converted into a 1,100-euro fine.
Santanche has opposed to the verdict and said she would appeal.
The Italian politician staged the protest in the Italian city of Milan four years ago.
She organized the protest outside a building where Muslims were holding Eid al-Fitr prayers, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
According to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center, more than 1.5 million Muslims live in Italy, a number projected to double by 2030, The Washington Post reported in May.
There are an estimated 1.6 billion Muslims around the world, making up the majority in 49 countries.
- 6 Million Migrants Want To Enter Europe: Leaked Report
- Angela Merkel: Europe Needs MORE Muslims!
- Muslim Sympathizers at CIA Behind Trump Leaks
- 11,169 Invaders Reach Europe in first 39 Days of 2017
- Ireland Starts Banning Immigrants From Trump’s Travel Ban List