An Italian right-wing politician has been fined for organizing a protest against the wearing of Islamic veils for women.
On Monday, Daniela Santanche, a leading member of the conservative Forza Italia party of former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, was handed a 100-euro fine and a four-day jail sentence for not warning police about the action.
The punishment was subsequently converted into a 1,100-euro fine.
Santanche has opposed to the verdict and said she would appeal.
The Italian politician staged the protest in the Italian city of Milan four years ago.
She organized the protest outside a building where Muslims were holding Eid al-Fitr prayers, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
According to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center, more than 1.5 million Muslims live in Italy, a number projected to double by 2030, The Washington Post reported in May.
There are an estimated 1.6 billion Muslims around the world, making up the majority in 49 countries.
- 206% Increase in Syrian “Refugees” Admitted to US as Trump Fails on Muslim Ban
- Wikileaks: Hillary Clinton Told Al Qaeda Is On Our Side
- Australian Wearing Cross Beaten By Muslim Gang Shouting "F Jesus!"
- Europe to take 20 Million Africans in the next Years: EU parliament president
- UN: 30,665 Invaders Land in Europe from January 1 to April 5 2017