Hacker warned medical devices could be accessed remotely for “mass murder”.
Scientists are set to treat depression and headaches by implanting electrodes into people’s brains which alter the function of brain tissue by using electroconvulsive therapy to “reboot” the mind.
“The more neurologists and surgeons learn about the aptly named deep brain stimulation, the more they are convinced that the currents from the technology’s implanted electrodes can literally reboot brain circuits involved with the mood disorder,” reports Scientific American.
Is this a potential scientific success story or the first step towards psychopharmacological dictatorship?
Hacker Barnaby Jack warned that medical implants like pacemakers could be remotely accessed by hackers and governments to “commit mass murder.”
Jack was found dead just a week before he was set to present his research at a conference.
- 5th force of nature possibly discovered, US physicists say
- Texas Scientists Discover the Source of Earth's Primordial Oceans
- Details of First Human Head Transplant Revealed
- Scorching Hot Exoplanet Makes Scientists Scratch Heads
- Scientists Reveal Dark Matter Secret Behind Mercury's Crust