A Swiss female tourist, on a cycling trip with her husband, has been gang-raped by a group of seven to eight Indian persons at a forest area in the South Asian country, police say.
The gang attacked the couple in impoverished Madhya Pradesh state on Friday night, sexually assaulting the 39-year-old woman, police said on Saturday.
Local police official S.M. Afzal told AFP that the attackers “tied up the man and raped the woman in his presence” and added that the men robbed 10,000 rupees ($185) and a mobile phone.
The rape victim was conscious on Saturday and speaking to authorities, police said.
In her statement to the police, she said that the couple were both Swiss. However, police said they had not yet seen their passports to confirm their nationality.
“The victims, who belong to Switzerland, put up a tent to stay overnight” when the attack occurred, Afzal said.
The Swiss tourist’s rape, the latest case of sexual violence against women in India, came only months after a brutal gang rape and subsequent murder of an Indian woman.
The 23-year-old medical student was gang-raped and thrown out of a moving bus on December 16, 2012, in the Indian capital New Delhi.
The horrific nature of the crime shocked Indians, who thronged the streets, demanding protection for women and capital punishment for rape, which currently carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
- Immigrants Gang Rape 14 Year Old Girl in High School Bathroom
- "Jihad Will Soon Begin in Europe" Turkish Foreign Minister
- Indian Cannibal Sect Threatens to Decapitate CNN host forced to eat Human Brains
- Muslims gang-rape 14yo girl IN SCHOOL, principal says: Rapists are Victims too
- Uganda Muslims Gang Rape 15 Women In Church As Revenge For Pastor Sharing Gospel