Thousands of people in eastern Australia have been cut off from their homes by floodwaters, following thunderstorms and tornados that wreaked havoc to the region.
Flooding, caused by heavy rain and stiff winds, continues in Australia.
The State Emergency Service (SES) said Sunday that around 20,000 people had been cut off across the northern coasts of the eastern state of New South Wales.
Emergency officials said the isolated areas where the 20,000 people have been affected are under close watch for help.
“The New South Wales SES is monitoring isolated areas and will provide resupply or medical evacuation if required,” the emergency service said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has urged the public to avoid fast-moving waters.
The natural disaster has so far claimed two lives and caused extensive damage to public and private property in the region.
Cyclones and floods are common in Australia’s northeast during the warmer summer months. In 2011, a series of huge storms devastated large agricultural areas and key coal mines across the state of Queensland.
- Australian Wearing Cross Beaten By Muslim Gang Shouting "F Jesus!"
- Search is on for the ‘once extinct’ Tasmanian Tiger
- Australian Teachers To Lecture 4-Year-Olds on Sexism
- Monster cyclone rips off roofs & trees, forces mass evacuations in Australia
- Australian Islamic Peace Conference Flyer Hides Women’s Faces