Home » Middle East, Wars / Conflicts » US deploys troops to Turkey amid Syria unrest


US deploys troops to Turkey amid Syria unrest

 
 
 
 
 
submit to reddit

Lieutenant General Mark Phillip Hertling

The commanding general of the US Army Europe (USAREUR) says the Pentagon has recently sent a number of American soldiers to Turkey in a bid to assist Ankara in handling the spillover of the Syrian crisis.

“We have had a relatively few number of US Army Europe personnel in Turkey recently,” Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper quoted Lieutenant General Mark Phillip Hertling as saying.

The general added, “Some of that has been sharing intelligence.”

Hertling noted that Turkey is concerned about how to handle the humanitarian crisis on its border with Syria.

“It’s October. What [Turkey is] very concerned about is the approach of winter, and the way they can address the humanitarian crisis on the border,” he pointed out.

If Turkey asks for corporation, American soldiers could be used in evacuation operations, Hertling said. “However, no request has been made yet by Turkey.”

Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011.

Damascus says outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorists are the driving factors behind the unrest and deadly violence while the opposition accuses the security forces of being behind the killings.

The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country and that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Turkey are arming the opposition.

Source

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)
US deploys troops to Turkey amid Syria unrest, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  



RELATED ARTICLES

Did you like this information? Then please consider making a donation or subscribing to our Newsletter.
  • 1000ydstare

    Here’s where the world gets weird and the average every day American catches hell while travelling abroad. We’ll be called imperialist for this action taken by Obama to appease somebody. 53% of Americans like American soldiers more than Turkey or Syria. We really don’t give a rats @$$ and can think of better things to waste China’s money on. The remaining 47% just want free stuff and don’t care ho dies getting it.

Copyright © 2009 The European Union Times – Breaking News, Latest News. All rights reserved.