A Chinese scientist has said that prehistoric man ate the bears in what is now part of the southwestern Chinese city of Chongqing.
In an interview with The Chongqing Morning Post, Wei Guangbiao, the head of the Institute of Three Gorges Paleoanthropology at a Chongqing museum, said that many excavated fossils “showed that pandas were once slashed to death by man,” The Associated Press reported on Sunday.
“In primitive times, people wouldn’t kill animals that were useless to them,” he said, adding that pandas are probably unlikely to attempt to attack humans because they do not eat much apart from bamboo.
Therefore he concluded that the pandas must have been a source of food.
However, the scientist noted that pandas were much smaller back then, adding that wild pandas lived in Chongqing’s high mountains 10,000 to one million years ago.
Panda, a conservation reliant endangered species, is a bear native to central-western and south western China.
- China Threatens US Bomber Flying Near South Korea
- Trump Gets Trade Win at G20 Meet
- Trump's watered down Immigration Law Banned by Hawaii judges is a Chinese plot
- China Expanding Nuke Arsenal, Top General Warns
- LOL! Fake News Media Falsely Boost their Traffic with Chinese Bots