Mexican Interior Secretary Francisco Blake Mora and seven others have been killed in a helicopter crash near Mexico City.
“Unfortunately the interior secretary, his collaborators and the helicopter crew were found dead,” government spokesman Alejandra Sota said in a Friday statement.
The helicopter had reportedly been traveling from Mexico City to Cuernavaca in the neighboring state of Morelos, AFP reported.
This is as the Mexican government is currently undergoing a violent battle against drug gangs.
Mexico has in recent years been plagued by drug-related violence.
Violent clashes among rival drug cartels have claimed the lives of over 40,000 people in Mexico since December 2006. Mexican government findings show that 2010 was the bloodiest year so far, with 15,273 drug-related murders.
- Holy Cow! Trump CANCELS Mexico Wall
- Trump flip flops again, says he will NOT repeal NAFTA anymore
- 241% Decrease in Invader Apprehensions at US-Mexico Border
- The US-Mexico Wall is NOT going to be Built Anymore: GOP
- La Raza Vows to Stop Wall, CONQUER Southwest America and Give it to Mexico