Mexican Interior Secretary Francisco Blake Mora and seven others have been killed in a helicopter crash near Mexico City.
“Unfortunately the interior secretary, his collaborators and the helicopter crew were found dead,” government spokesman Alejandra Sota said in a Friday statement.
The helicopter had reportedly been traveling from Mexico City to Cuernavaca in the neighboring state of Morelos, AFP reported.
This is as the Mexican government is currently undergoing a violent battle against drug gangs.
Mexico has in recent years been plagued by drug-related violence.
Violent clashes among rival drug cartels have claimed the lives of over 40,000 people in Mexico since December 2006. Mexican government findings show that 2010 was the bloodiest year so far, with 15,273 drug-related murders.
- La Raza Vows to Stop Wall, CONQUER Southwest America and Give it to Mexico
- Trump Wall Will Pay for Itself by Preventing Just 160K Invaders
- AP caught fabricating FAKE NEWS "Trump threatens Mexico with War"
- Mexico Earmarks $50 Million to Lawyer Up Illegals in the U.S.
- Peso Tumbles After Mexican President Says He Rejects Trump’s Border Wall