One hundred Filipino protesters have rallied in the capital, Manila, to show their objection to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s visit to the Philippines.
Protesters began their rally in Plaza Salamanca on Tuesday.
Clinton arrived in Manila to mark the 60th anniversary of the signing of the Philippines-US Mutual Defense Treaty.
The US recently provided the Philippines with a destroyer and Clinton will discuss offering a second one.
Last week, Clinton said that the US was “updating” relationships with its five treaty-bound regional allies — Australia, Japan, the Philippines, South Korea and Thailand.
Activists said they are against the visit because it sets the stage for a greater US presence in the region. They have called on Washington to stop interfering in regional affairs.
Clinton is scheduled to meet with President Benigno Aquino during her visit.
- North Korea Says Trump No Different Than Obama
- Wikileaks: Hillary Clinton Told Al Qaeda Is On Our Side
- New Huma Abedin Emails Reveal Hillary Emailed Classified Info on Unsecured Server
- BOMBSHELL: Podesta Received $35 Million from RUSSIA while Advising Clinton & Obama
- Donna Brazile Admits CNN Collusion, Forwarded Town Hall Questions to Hillary