Brazil joined its BRIC partners Russia and China in calling for an immediate cease fire in Libya. According to the Brazilian senate’s news agency on Friday, the Committee on External Relations and National Defense called for an immediate cease fire on Thursday. The senate asked for a negotiated solution to the Libyan internal conflict to be led by the United Nations and Organization of African States.
Earlier this week, both Russian and Chinese officials have called for a cease fire in Libya.
On March 21, China’s official government media organ, The People’s Daily, accussed the United States and its allies of breaking international rules and courting new turmoil in the Middle East. The paper likened the assault on Libyan sites to the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, and suggested it followed a pattern of Western overreach. “The blood-soaked tempests that Iraq has undergone for eight years and the unspeakable suffering of its people are a mirror and a warning,” said the commentary that was reprinted in part in the English version of China Daily.
China’s foreign ministry said it regretted US President Barack Obama’s decision, along with leaders in France and the UK, to send in missile strikes to military targets in Libya on Sunday, March 20. Obama ordered the strikes from the five star luxry Copacabana Palace in Rio de Janeiro.
On March 22, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Jiang Yu, called for an immediate ceasefire. “China supports the continued diplomatic efforts of the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy to Libya, the African Union and the Arab League for peaceful settlement of the current crisis in Libya.”
Brazil mimicked their Chinese allies on Thursday.
Obama ordered the airstrikes with NATO allies after Libya failed to abide by a cease fire agreement it made with the United Nations Security Council early last Friday following the Thursday, March 17 decision to put a no-fly zone in place over Libya to quell government air strikes against anti-government demonstrators.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev spoke with Obama by phone on Thursday, asking him to avoid civilian deaths in Libya. The Russian leader again expressed his interest in mediating the conflict inside Libya. There is growing concern that NATO ground forces will be sent in if Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi does not step down.
A high-ranking Russian intelligence service source told Ria Novosti news reporters on Friday that a ground attack could be implemented next month, with no support from Russia.
Brazil, China, India, Russia and Germany abstained from the UN Security Council’s Resolution last Thursday.
- ISIS bombed Russia's FSB headquarters, not neo-nazis as initially claimed
- New Korean War may break out at any moment: Chinese FM
- Trust between US & Russia degrading under Trump says Putin
- Russia Cuts Off Last Contact With US, Orders Pilots To “Attack At Will”
- Obama IRS Officials Admit to Inappropriately Targeting Conservative Groups