Chechen terrorist leader Doku Umarov has called on Russian Muslims to launch a holy war against their government in a video published Friday on the website kavkazcenter.com.
‘Destroy the enemies of Allah, open up the fronts,’ Umarov said. The terrorist claimed responsibility on the same website for the January bombing of a Moscow airport in which 38 people died.
The Kremlin had declared ‘total war’ on the North Caucasus with its military operations there, Umarov continued.
In the nine-minute video, in which the bearded 46-year-old is flanked by two armed companions and which appears to have been filmed in a snow-covered wood, he also announced further attacks.
In a previous message Umarov had already threatened Russia with ‘a year of blood and tears.’
Authorities are particularly worried about the possibility of attacks before the 2012 presidential elections and the 2014 Winter Olympics in the Black Sea city of Sochi.
Radical Islamist groups in the Caucasus, a region which includes the Russian republics of Dagestan and Ingushetia, have been fighting for years for the establishment of a ‘Caucasus emirate.’
There are frequent clashes between pro-Russian forces and Islamist militants. On Friday a high-level member of the internal security services, the FSB, was killed in a shoot-out in Dagestan.
- Graham: "I Wonder If My Meetings Are Being Surveilled by the Intelligence Community"
- US Government Investigating “Far-Right” Websites for being Russian agents
- Trump headed for impeachment after being branded Russian Agent in Comey Hearing
- “Nuclear Bomb Is Now In Play In EU” Warns Russia As Historic Troop Alert Begins
- "Jihad Will Soon Begin in Europe" Turkish Foreign Minister